Monday, September 7, 2009

Hood to Coast

Van 1 - Mulvanny G2 Team
(L-R - Jim, Brian, Ruthie, Anna, Travis, Brannon)


The last time I did Hood to Coast I was 8 weeks pregnant with Merrick. I had forgotten about all the craziness surrounding H2C and how hard running is on only a couple of hours of sleep. Travis and I ran on the Mulvanny G2 team, Trav running leg 2 and I ran leg 3. For those of you not familiar with H2C, it is a 197 mile relay race from Mt. Hood to Seaside. There are 12 runners on a team and over the course of 28+ hours, you run anywhere from 15 - 20 miles. I personally think it's almost harder than doing a marathon because you have 6 -7 hours rest in-between your legs, but you are cramped in a van, have very little sleep and not eating regular meals. I would much rather run all my miles at once and get it done with, but that's not an option unless you're crazy like the guy who ran the whole thing by himself.


Decorating the rig. Almost all teams decorate their vans, some go with a theme, as you'll see the Top Gun teams rig below.




Start of H2C, teams start in 15 minute waves starting at around 7 am. We had a 10:30 am start time. The earliest I've ever had.

Trav getting ready to start his first leg.

No comments: